New bill to help vets' schooling, training
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy stood with student veterans at Adelphi University in Garden City Friday to announce legislation to help provide education and job training for veterans and to streamline the certification process for civilian jobs.
"This new legislation is an important investment for our heroes," said Gillibrand, a New York Democrat.
McCarthy (D-Mineola) said: "We should be doing everything we can to make sure that these heroes are able to go to school or enter the workforce -- or both -- as they return to civilian life."
Adelphi president Robert Scott said the school has a "strong heritage" of welcoming veterans as students under various G.I. bills and that they deserve help in re-entering civilian life. The university will hold a Veterans Employment Summit on May 23, said Scott.To continue reading: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/new-bill-to-help-vets-schooling-training-1.3699830
- May 12Sunday Spotlight: Moms on Capitol Hill
- May 01Ending The Epidemic of Sexual Violence In The Military
- Dec 17We have an obligation to act and prevent tomorrow’s senseless deaths
- Nov 07Hurricane Sandy Resources - Shelters and Warming Centers
- Nov 02What You Can Do To Help The Victims Of Hurricane Sandy